The Diocesan Museum of Catania is located next to the Cathedral of St. Agatha and preserves a collection of liturgical accessories and furniture of the diocese of Catania.
In 1669 St. Nicholas church was partially destroyed by an eruption which surrounded the city of Catania, widening the cost for more then 1 km. The St. Nicholas church in Catania is one of the largest Catholic church buildings in Sicily, measuring 105 meters long and 48 meters wide aisles and about 71 meters to the transept, with a maximum height of about 66 meters to the dome. The church was redesigned by the roman architect Giovanni Battista Contini (1641-1723) and rebuilt from 1687.
The name Porta Uzeda comes from Juan Francisco Pacheco Téllez-Girón, duke of Uzeda, a vicerè of Sicily between 1687 and 1696. The Vicerè was the king regent during the spanish government which started in 1412 and ended in 1830.
The Benedictine Monastery of San Nicolò l'Arena in Catania, Sicily, is the second biggest benedectine monastery in Europe and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The Marble Cloister corresponds to the original square plan of the monastery founded in 1558 which today it hosts the Department of Humanities of the University of Catania.
The Orto Botanico dell'Università di Catania , also known as the Hortus Botanicus Catinensis, is a botanical garden in Catania. It is operated by the University of Catania botany department. The Orto Botanico was established by a benedictine monk called Francis Roccaforte Tornabene, with first plantings in 1862 of specimens obtained from other botanical gardens in Sweden, France, Naples, and Palermo.
Fondachello was an important centre of trade of eastern Sicily and its name comes from the Fondaco, a particular kind of building used as deposit from the foreign traders.
The name Playa comes from the spanish language and, in Catania, it usually refers to 18 km of coast full of beach clubs which offer services and activities of all kinds. In fact, it is possible to find many beachvolley and tennis camps, restaurants and nightclubs.
This nature reserve preserve a wide forest of Quercus suber. It has an area of 30000 hectares and includes rare species of tree such as Quercus ilex, Phillyrea angustifolia, Pistacia lentiscus, Juniperus phoenicea, Erica arborea, Arbutus unedo, Myrtus communis, Cistus spp., Thymus capitatus and many more.