Palazzo dell'Università

Palazzo dell’Università (Palace of University) is the symbol of art and culture in the city of Catania. The history of the Palace dates back to 1696 but after three years the earthquake that destroyed Catania, destroyed the palace too. For this reason, it was restructured by Francesco and Antonino Battaglia and Giovan Battista Vaccarini.

The courtyard is surrounded by an elegant two floor arcade which , at the beginning, was opened to the four sides of the palace. In the sumptuous Aula Magna, there are painted frescos of the Catanese artist Giovan Battista Piparo . Work on the new university building was completed towards the end of the 18th century.

Posted in The 10 best actraction

Teatro Massimo Vincenzo Bellini

The Teatro Massimo Bellini, named after the local-born composer Vincenzo Bellinii, was inaugurated on 31 May 1890 with a performance of the composer's masterwork, Norma It was built after almost two hundred years of discussions caused by some funding problems mostly related to the eartquake of 1693 which completely destroyed Catania.

Meanwhile, a smaller theatre - the "Provisional Municipal Theatre" – was built instead.

During the first decade of 20th century, thanks to Giuseppe Cavallaro, many important operas were played: Rossini’s “William Tell, Mascagni’s “Isabeau” and so on.

Today the art director is Francesco Nicolosi.

Posted in The 10 best actraction

Palazzo degli Elefanti

Palazzo degli Elefanti ( "Elephants Palace") currently houses the city's Town Hall and it is located on the northern side of the Cathedral square.

It was built after the devastating eartquake of 1693. The eastern, southern, and western façades were designed by Giovan Battista Vaccarini, while the northern one was by Carmelo Battaglia. Inside the palace there is the inner court with four porticoes.

In the entrance hall there are the two 18th century stagecoaches called “Carrozze del Senato” used as mean of transport by the mayor during the celebrations dedicated to Saint Agata, on 3rd of February. Palazzo degli Elefanti was destroyed on 14th December 1944 by a raging fire and re-opened after eight years of work.

Posted in The 10 best actraction

Bellini Garden

Bellini Garden

The Bellini Garden, also known as Villa Bellini in italian or “a villa” in sicilian, is the oldest urban park of Catania. Before the construction of the current public garden, the area was occupied by a botanical maze owned by Ignazio Paternò Castello, prince of Biscari.

In 1854, the municipality of Catania bought the area of the maze, and in 1864 started to adapt the area into a public garden. Starting from 1875, the municipality acquired several further areas surrounding the maze thanks to the collaboration of the architect Landolina.

The garden occupies 70.942 m² and includes several green areas, a staircase and two hills, from which you can enjoy a beautiful view of Catania.

Posted in The 10 best actraction

Continue Reading

Fish Market

“A piscaria”is the historical fish market of Catania. It is famous for its colors and its picturesque atmosphere that make it look like an arab “suq”. The only direct “competitor” of this incredibly typical sicilian market is the “Vucciria” in Palermo. The fish market is placed in front of "Archi della Marina" in a tunnel dug in 16th century under the Palace of the Seminary of the Clerics(Palazzo del Seminario dei Chierici).

Posted in The 10 best actraction

Continue Reading

  • 1
  • 2

About Us


Kiube Web Agency
Wead Media Agency

My Etna Maps
Etna Walk